A corruption of Convent Garden; the garden and burial ground
attached to the convent of Westminster, and turned into a fruit and
flower market in the reign of Charles II. It now belongs to the Duke of
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Covent Garden from Infoplease:
- Covent Garden: meaning and definitions - Covent Garden: Definition and Pronunciation
- Covent Garden - Covent Garden Covent Garden , area in London historically containing the city's principal fruit ...
- Covent Garden - Covent Garden A corruption of Convent Garden; the garden and burial ground attached to the convent ...
- John Rich - Rich, John Rich, John, 1692–1761, English actor-manager. Rich introduced pantomime to ...
- Joseph Grimaldi - Grimaldi, Joseph Grimaldi, Joseph , 1779–1837, English pantomime actor and clown. He made his ...