in permanent fortification. The sides of ditches strengthened
interiorly by buttresses some fifteen or eighteen feet apart. (See
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Counterforts from Infoplease:
- counterfort: meaning and definitions - counterfort: Definition and Pronunciation
- Counterforts - Counterforts in permanent fortification. The sides of ditches strengthened interiorly by buttresses ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index cos Cosa Nostra Cosby coscenarist cose cosec cosecant coseismal Cosell Cosenza ...
- Revetments - Revetments in fortifications. In “permanent fortification” the sides of ditches ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: C - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "C"