Porter la cornette. To be domineered over by the woman of the
house; to be a Jerry Sneak. The cornette is the mob-cap anciently worn
by the women of France. Porter les culottes (to wear the
breeches) is the same idea; only it shows who has the mastery, and not
who is mastered. In the latter case it means the woman wears the dress
of the man, and assumes his position in the house. Probably our
“wearing the horns” may be referred to the “cornette” rather than to
the stag or deer.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cornette from Infoplease:
- Cornette - Cornette Porter la cornette. To be domineered over by the woman of the house; to be a Jerry Sneak. ...
- cornet - cornet cornet, brass wind musical instrument, created in France about 1830 by adding valves to the ...
- Oklahoma City, Okla. - Information on Oklahoma City, Okla. — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.
- The Last Ride - Starring Henry Thomas, Kaley Cuoco, Stephen Tobolowsky, Jesse James, Ray McKinnon
- Miss America Winners - Miss America Winners 1921 Margaret Gorman, Washington, D.C. 1922–23 Mary Campbell, Columbus, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring