(Un) (French). A knight of the ancient order of the
St. Esprit (Holy Ghost); so called because the decoration is
suspended on a blue ribbon. It was at one time the highest order in the
Un repas de cordon bleu.
A well-cooked and well-appointed dinner. The commandeur de Souvé
d'Olonne, and some others, who were cordons bleus (i.e.
knights of St. Esprit), met together as a sort of club, and were noted
for their excellent dinners. Hence, when anyone had dined well he said,
“Bien, c'est un vrai repas de cordon bleu. ”
Une Cordon Bleu.
A facetious compliment to a good female cook. The play is between
cordon bleu, and the blue ribbons or strings of some favourite
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cordon Bleu from Infoplease:
- cordon bleu: meaning and definitions - cordon bleu: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cordon Bleu - Cordon Bleu (Un) (French). A knight of the ancient order of the St. Esprit (Holy Ghost); so called ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index coo cooboo co-occur cooch Cooch Behar cooee cooey coof cook cookbook Cooke cooker ...
- Julia Child - Julia Child (Julia McWilliams) chef and PBS personality Born: 8/15/1912 Birthplace: Pasadena, ...
- weaver bird - weaver bird weaver bird, name for the Ploceidae, a family of Old World seed-eating birds closely ...