A drink made of beer, wine, and spice heated together, and
served in a “loving-cup.” Dog-Latin for cupellon Hippocratis
(a cup of hippocras).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Copus from Infoplease:
- Copus - Copus A drink made of beer, wine, and spice heated together, and served in a ...
- Badminton - Badminton is properly a “copus cup,” made of claret spiced and sweetened, a favourite ...
- Mazer - Mazer A cup; so called from the British masarn (maple); Dutch, maeser. Like our copus-cups in ...
- Toast - Toast A name given, to which guests are invited to drink in compliment. The name at one time was ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: C - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "C"