(The), 1777. A faction organised to place General Gates
at the head of the American army. He conquered Burgoyne, October, 1777,
at Saratoga, and hoped to supplant Washington. The Conway referred to
is the town in New Brunswick, North America, where the cabal was
General Gates was conquered in 1780 by Lord Cornwallis.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Conway Cabal from Infoplease:
- Conway Cabal - Conway Cabal Conway Cabal, 1777, intrigue in the American Revolution to remove George Washington as ...
- Conway Cabal - Conway Cabal (The), 1777. A faction organised to place General Gates at the head of the American ...
- Thomas Conway - Conway, Thomas Conway, Thomas, 1735–1800?, general in the Continental army in the American ...
- William Alexander - Alexander, William Alexander, William, known as Lord Stirling, 1726–83, American ...
- Thomas Mifflin - Mifflin, Thomas Mifflin, Thomas, 1744–1800, American Revolutionary general and political ...