(French). A mischance, something inopportune. Literally, “out
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Contretemps from Infoplease:
- What does it mean? contretemps - contretemps Bumping into Melinda was something of a contretemps— a.) after all, Bill had just ...
- contretemps: meaning and definitions - contretemps: Definition and Pronunciation
- Contretemps - Contretemps (French). A mischance, something inopportune. Literally, “out of time.” ...
- The Navigator (1924) - Starring Buster Keaton, Kathryn McGuire, Frederick Vroom, Clarence Burton, H.M. Clugston
- Road to Bali (1952) - Starring Bing Crosby, Bob Hope, Dorothy Lamour, Murvyn Vye, Peter Coe