(The). The accession of William I. to the crown of
England. So called because his right depended on his conquest of
Harold, the reigning king. (1066.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Conquest from Infoplease:
- Norman Conquest: meaning and definitions - Norman Conquest: Definition and Pronunciation
- conquest: meaning and definitions - conquest: Definition and Pronunciation
- Conquest - Starring Greta Garbo, Charles Boyer, Reginald Owen, Alan Marshal, Henry Stephenson
- Mexico - Information on Mexico — map of Mexico, geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, and the national flag.
- Norman Conquest - Norman Conquest Norman Conquest, period in English history following the defeat (1066) of King ...