An agreement made between a ruler and the Pope relative to the
collation of benefices. As the Concordat of 1801 between Napoleon
Bonaparte and Pope Pius VII.; the Concordat of 1516 between Francois
I. and Pope Leo X. to abolish the “pragmatic sanction;” and the
Germanic Concordat of 1448 between Frederick III. and Pope Nicholas V.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Concordat from Infoplease:
- concordat - concordat concordat , formal agreement, specifically between the pope, in his spiritual capacity, ...
- concordat: meaning and definitions - concordat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Concordat - Concordat An agreement made between a ruler and the Pope relative to the collation of benefices. As ...
- Gabriel García Moreno - García Moreno, Gabriel García Moreno, Gabriel , 1821–75, president of Ecuador ...
- Jean Étienne Marie Portalis - Portalis, Jean Étienne Marie Portalis, Jean Étienne Marie , 1746–1807, French ...