His signature was-
S. i.e., Servidor
S. A. S. Sus Altezas Sacras
X. M. Y. Jesus Maria Isabel
Xto. FERENS Christo-pher
El Almirante El Almirante.
In English, “Servant- of their Sacred Highnesses- Jesus Mary and
Isabella- Christopher- the Admiral.” The second Columbus.
Cyrus West Field was so called by John Bright when he completed the
Atlantic Cable. Born at Stockbridge, Massachusetts, 1819.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Columbus from Infoplease:
- Columbus: meaning and definitions - Columbus: Definition and Pronunciation
- Knights of Columbus - Knights of Columbus Knights of Columbus, American Roman Catholic society for men, founded (1882) at ...
- Christopher Columbus - Columbus, Christopher Columbus, Christopher, Ital. Cristoforo Colombo, Span. Cristóbal ...
- Christopher Columbus - Christopher Columbus European explorer Born: 1451 Birthplace: Genoa, Italy Christopher Columbus ...
- Columbus, Ohio - Information on Columbus, Ohio — economy, government, culture, state map and flag, major cities, points of interest, famous residents, state motto, symbols, nicknames, and other trivia.