A fire-arm which, by means of revolving barrels, can be fired
several times without intermission. This instrument was patented by
Colonel Samuel Colt, U.S., in 1835.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Colt's Revolver from Infoplease:
- Colt's Revolver - Colt's Revolver A fire-arm which, by means of revolving barrels, can be fired several times ...
- colt: meaning and definitions - colt: Definition and Pronunciation
- Samuel Colt - Biography of Samuel Colt, Inventor of the Colt revolver
- Paterson - Paterson Paterson, city (1990 pop. 140,891), seat of Passaic co., NE N.J., at the falls of the ...
- Rifle - Rifle is from the German reifeln (to hollow into tubes). In 1851 the French minié rifle was ...