[Ko-kytus ]. One of the five rivers of hell. The word
means the “river of lamentation.” The unburied were doomed to wander
about its banks for 100 years. (Greek, koku'o, to weep.)
Cocytus, named of lamentation loud
Heard on the rueful stream.
Milton: Paradise Lost, ii. 579.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cocytus from Infoplease:
- Hades - Hades Hades , in Greek and Roman religion and mythology. 1. The ruler of the underworld: see Pluto. ...
- Cocytus - Cocytus Cocytus : see Hades.
- Cocytus - Cocytus [Ko-kytus ]. One of the five rivers of hell. The word means the “river of ...
- Mint - Mint So called from the nymph Minthe, daughter of Cocytus, and a favourite of Pluto. This nymph was ...
- Hell - Hell According to Mohammedan faith, there are seven hells— (1) Jabannam, for wicked ...