or Cockle Boat.. A small boat made of a wicker frame,
and covered with leather or oil-cloth. The Welsh fishers used to carry
them on their backs. (Welsh, cwch, a boat; French, coche,
a passage boat; Irish, coca; Italian, cocca; Norwegian,
kog, a cockboat.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cockboat from Infoplease:
- cockboat: meaning and definitions - cockboat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cockboat - Cockboat or Cockle Boat.. A small boat made of a wicker frame, and covered with leather or ...
- cockleboat: meaning and definitions - cockleboat: Definition and Pronunciation
- Coxswain - Coxswain Kog is Norwegian for a cockboat; Welsh, cwch; Italian, cocca, etc.; and swain, Anglo-Saxon ...
- Cockswain - Cockswain or COXSWAIN [cox'n ]. The swain or servant of the cock or boat, together with its ...