A Government formed by various parties by a mutual surrender of
principles. The administration of Lord North and Charles Fox, 1783, was
a coalition, but it fell to pieces in a few months. That of Lord
Salisbury with the old Whig party headed by Lord Hartington was a
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Coalition Government from Infoplease:
- Coalition Government - Coalition Government A Government formed by various parties by a mutual surrender of principles. ...
- shotgun wedding: meaning and definitions - shotgun wedding: Definition and Pronunciation
- Walter Scheel - Scheel, Walter Scheel, Walter , 1919–, German political leader, president of West Germany ...
- Lech Wałęsa - Wałęsa, Lech Wałęsa, Lech , 1943–, Polish labor and political leader. ...
- Klement Gottwald - Gottwald, Klement Gottwald, Klement , 1896–1953, Czechoslovak Communist leader, b. Moravia. ...