Now applied to expenses voted annually by Parliament to pay the
personal expenses of the Sovereign, the household expenses, and the
pensions awarded by Royal bounty; but before the reign of William III.
it embraced all the heads of public expenditure, except those of the
army and navy.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Civil List from Infoplease:
- Civil List - Civil List Now applied to expenses voted annually by Parliament to pay the personal expenses of the ...
- Federalist No. 13 - To the People of the State of New York:
- William Wordsworth: Life and Works - Life and Works In 1791 he graduated from Cambridge and traveled abroad. While in France he fell in ...
- Consolidated Fund - Consolidated Fund (The). In 1757 an Act was passed for consolidating the nine loans bearing ...
- April 7 Birthdays: William Wordsworth - April 7 birthdays: William Wordsworth, Gerhard Schröder, Ravi Shankar, Russell Crowe, Jackie Chan, Francis Ford Coppola, Billie Holiday