(2 syl.). French insurgents of the Royalist party during the
Revolution. Jean Cottereau was their leader, nicknamed chouan
(owl), because he was accustomed to warn his companions of danger by
imitating the screech of an owl. Cottereau was followed by George
It is an error to suppose Chouan to be a proper name.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chouans from Infoplease:
- Chouans - Chouans Chouans [Norman Fr.,=owls], peasants of W France who rose against the French Revolutionary ...
- Chouans - Chouans (2 syl.). French insurgents of the Royalist party during the Revolution. Jean Cottereau was ...
- Chao'an: meaning and definitions - Chao'an: Definition and Pronunciation
- Jean Cottereau - Cottereau, Jean: Cottereau, Jean: see Chouans.
- Laval, town, France - Laval Laval, town (1990 pop. 53,478), capital of Mayenne dept., NW France, in Maine. It has been ...