(kaos ). Confusion; that confused mass of elemental
substances supposed to have existed before God reduced creation into
order. The poet Hesiod is the first extant writer that speaks of it.
Light, uncollected, through the chaos urged
Its infant way, nor order yet had drawn
His lovely train from out the dubious gloom.
Thomson: Autumn, 732-4.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chaos from Infoplease:
- chaos theory - chaos theory chaos theory, in mathematics, physics, and other fields, a set of ideas that attempts ...
- Elaine Chao - Elaine Chao George W. Bush's secretary of Labor Born: 1953 Birthplace: Taiwan Chao has a ...
- Chao Phraya - Chao Phraya Chao Phraya , Mae Nam Chao Phraya,or Menam Chao Phraya, chief river of Thailand, c.140 ...
- Chao K'uang-yin: meaning and definitions - Chao K'uang-yin: Definition and Pronunciation
- Stephen Chao - Stephen Chao movie producer, TV executive After graduating from Harvard University in 1977 with a ...