You are a chameleon, i.e. very changeable- shifting according
to the opinions of others, as the chameleon changes its hue to that of
As the chameleon, who is known
To have no colours of its own,
But borrows from his neighbour's hue,
His white or black, his green or blue.
Pliny tells us that Democritus wrote a book on superstitions
connected with the chameleon.
C'est un cameleon.
One who shifts his opinions according to circumstances; a vicar of
Bray. To chameleonise is to change one's opinions as a chameleon
changes its colour.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Chameleon from Infoplease:
- chameleon: meaning and definitions - chameleon: Definition and Pronunciation
- chameleon - chameleon chameleon , small- to medium-sized lizard of the family Chamaeleonidae. About eighty ...
- Chameleon - Chameleon You are a chameleon, i.e. very changeable- shifting according to the opinions of others, ...
- The Chameleon (Le Caméléon) - Starring Ellen Barkin, Xavier Beauvois, Gabe Begneaud, Brett Beoubay, Kent Jude Bernard
- anole - anole: anole: see chameleon.