(kam). The sovereign prince of Tartary, now written,
“Fetch you a hair off the great Cham's beard.” —Shakespeare: Much
Ado About Nothing, ii. 1.
The great Cham of Literature.
Dr. Samuel Johnson (1709-1784).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cham from Infoplease:
- Cham - Cham Cham , pseud. of Amédée de Noé, 1819–79, French caricaturist and ...
- cham: meaning and definitions - cham: Definition and Pronunciation
- Kompong Cham - Kompong Cham Kompong Cham , city (1971 est. pop. 35,000), capital of Kompong Cham prov., SE ...
- Cham - Cham (kam). The sovereign prince of Tartary, now written, “khan.” “Fetch you a ...
- Great Cham of Literature - Great Cham of Literature So Smollett calls Dr. Johnson. (1709-1784.) Source: Dictionary of Phrase ...