(The), 1614. A confederacy of Catholics to
counter-balance the Evangelic League (q.v.) of Bohemia. The two
Leagues kept Germany in perpetual disturbance, and ultimately led to
the Thirty Years' War (1618-1648).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Catholic League from Infoplease:
- Holy League - Holy League Holy League, in Italian history, alliance formed (1510–11) by Pope Julius II ...
- Catholic League - Catholic League Catholic League, in French history: see Holy League.
- Catholic League - Catholic League (The), 1614. A confederacy of Catholics to counter-balance the Evangelic League ...
- Treaty of Vervins - Vervins, Treaty of Vervins, Treaty of , 1598, peace treaty signed at the small town of Vervins, ...
- White Mountain - White Mountain White Mountain or White Hill,Czech Bílá Hora, hill near Prague, Czech ...