Daughter of Priam, gifted with the power of prophecy; but
Apollo, whom she had offended, brought it to pass that no one believed
her predictions. (Shakespeare: Troilus and Cressida.)
“Those who foresee and predict the downfall, meet with the fate of
Cassandra.” —The Times.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cassandra from Infoplease:
- Cassandra - Cassandra Cassandra , in Greek legend, Trojan princess, daughter of Priam and Hecuba. She was given ...
- Cassandra: meaning and definitions - Cassandra: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cassandra's Dream - Starring Ewan McGregor, Colin Farrell, Tom Wilkinson, Sally Hawkins, Hayley Atwell
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/cassandra - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Cassandra - Cassandra Daughter of Priam, gifted with the power of prophecy; but Apollo, whom she had offended, ...