Capital of New Granada, in South America, unsuccessfully
attacked in 1747 by Admiral Vernon.
Walks the dire power of pestilent disease ...
Such as, of late, at Carthagena quenched
The British fire. You, gallant Vernon, saw
The miserable scene; you, pitying, saw
To infant-weakness sunk the warrior's arm.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Carthagena from Infoplease:
- Carthagena - Carthagena Capital of New Granada, in South America, unsuccessfully attacked in 1747 by Admiral ...
- Vernon - Vernon mentioned by Thomson in his Summer, was Admiral Edward Vernon, who attacked Carthagena in ...
- The True George Washington: Soldier - "My inclinations," wrote Washington at twenty-three, "are strongly bent to arms," and the tendency was a natural one, coming not merely from his India
- The True George Washington: Farmer and Proprietor - The earliest known Washington coat of arms had blazoned upon it "3 Cinque foiles," which was the herald's way of saying that the bearer was a landhold
- The True George Washington: Friends: Military Friends - One of the most curious circle of friends was that composed of Indians. After his mission among them in 1753, Washington wrote to a tribe and signed h
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring