(French). A blank cheque signed by the giver, but left to be
filled in by the receiver, with a sum of money drawn on the
bank-account of the giver. Power to act at discretion in an affair
placed under your charge.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Carte Blanche from Infoplease:
- carte blanche: meaning and definitions - carte blanche: Definition and Pronunciation
- Carte Blanche - Carte Blanche (French). A blank cheque signed by the giver, but left to be filled in by the ...
- Foreign Words and Phrases - Get the English meanings for several foreign words and phrases.
- piquet - piquet piquet or picquet, card game played by two persons with a deck of 32 cards—7 (low) up ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index caqueteuse caquetoire car Cara carabao carabineer carabiner carabinero carabiniere ...