or Carling Sunday [Pea Sunday ]. The
octave preceding Palm Sunday; so called because the special food of the
day was carling- i.e. peas fried in butter. The custom is a
continuation of thee pagan bean-feast. The fifth Sunday in Lent.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Carle from Infoplease:
- Baron Carl Gustav Emil Mannerheim - Mannerheim, Baron Carl Gustav Emil Mannerheim, Baron Carl Gustav Emil , 1867–1951, Finnish ...
- Carl XVI Gustaf: meaning and definitions - Carl XVI Gustaf: Definition and Pronunciation
- carl: meaning and definitions - carl: Definition and Pronunciation
- Carl Milles - Milles, Carl Milles, Carl , 1875–1955, Swedish-American sculptor, whose name originally was ...
- Carl Wilson - Carl Wilson Age: 51 A founding member of the Beach Boys, Wilson sang and played lead guitar with ...