Capua corrupted Hannibal. Luxury and self-indulgence will ruin
anyone. Hannibal was everywhere victorious over the Romans till he took
up his winter quarters at Capua, the most luxurious city of Italy. When
he left Capua his star began to wane, and, ere long, Carthage was in
ruins and himself an exile.
Capua was the Cannæ of Hannibal.
As the battle of Cannæ was most disastrous to the Roman army, so
was the luxury of Capua to Hannibal's army. We have a modern adaptation
to this proverb: “Moscow was the Austerlitz of Napoleon.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Capua from Infoplease:
- Capua - Capua Capua , town (1991 pop. 18,845), Campania, S Italy, on the Volturno River. It is an ...
- Capua: meaning and definitions - Capua: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/capua - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Capua - Capua Capua corrupted Hannibal. Luxury and self-indulgence will ruin anyone. Hannibal was ...
- Caudine Forks - Caudine Forks Caudine Forks , narrow passes in the Southern Apennines, S Italy, on the road from ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring