means cloth made of hemp. To canvas a subject is to
strain it through a hemp strainer, to sift it; and to canvass a
borough is to sift the votes. (Latin, cannabis, hemp.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Canvas from Infoplease:
- canvas: meaning and definitions - canvas: Definition and Pronunciation
- canvas - canvas canvas, strong, coarse cloth of cotton, flax, hemp, or other fibers, early used as ...
- Canvas - Starring Joe Pantoliano, Marcia Gay Harden, Devon Gearhart, Sophia Bairley, Marcus Johns
- The Red Canvas - Starring Maria Conchita Alonso, Martin C. Alvillar, Jermaine Andre, Riz Angel, Margie Betke
- Canvas - Canvas means cloth made of hemp. To canvas a subject is to strain it through a hemp strainer, to ...