Canterbury is the higher rack, but Winchester the better
manger. Canterbury is the higher see in rank, but Winchester the one
which produces the most money. This was the reply of William Edington,
Bishop of Winchester, when offered the archbishopric of Canterbury
(1366). Now Canterbury is 6,500.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Canterbury from Infoplease:
- Canterbury - Canterbury Canterbury, city (1991 pop. 34,046) and district, Kent, SE England, on the Stour River. ...
- canterbury: meaning and definitions - canterbury: Definition and Pronunciation
- Saint Augustine of Canterbury - Augustine of Canterbury, Saint Augustine of Canterbury, Saint , d. c.605, Italian missionary, ...
- Gervase of Canterbury - Gervase of Canterbury Gervase of Canterbury , d. c.1210, English chronicler. A monk of Christ ...
- Saint Thomas of Canterbury - Thomas of Canterbury, Saint: Thomas of Canterbury, Saint: see Thomas à Becket, Saint.