Canossa, in the duchy of Modena, is where (in the winter of
1076-7) Kaiser Heinrich IV. went to humble himself before Pope Gregory
Has the Czar gone to Canossa?
Is he about to eat humble pie?
When, in November, 1887, the Czar went to Berlin to visit the
Emperor of Germany, the Standard asked in a leader, “Has the
Czar gone to Canossa?”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Canossa from Infoplease:
- Canossa: meaning and definitions - Canossa: Definition and Pronunciation
- Canossa - Canossa Canossa , village, in Emilia-Romagna, N central Italy, in the Apennines. There are ruins of ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/canossa - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Canossa - Canossa Canossa, in the duchy of Modena, is where (in the winter of 1076-7) Kaiser Heinrich IV. ...
- Michele Sanmicheli - Sanmicheli, Michele Sanmicheli, Michele , c.1484–1559, Italian architect and engineer. He was ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring