(in billiards). A corruption of carrom, which is short for
carambole. A cannon is when the player's ball strikes the
adversary's ball in such a way as to glance off and strike a second
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cannon from Infoplease:
- cannoneer: meaning and definitions - cannoneer: Definition and Pronunciation
- cannon: meaning and definitions - cannon: Definition and Pronunciation
- Walter Bradford Cannon - Cannon, Walter Bradford Cannon, Walter Bradford, 1871–1945, American physiologist. While ...
- George Quayle Cannon - Cannon, George Quayle Cannon, George Quayle, 1827–1901, Mormon apostle, b. Liverpool, ...
- Annie Jump Cannon - Cannon, Annie Jump Cannon, Annie Jump, 1863–1941, American astronomer, b. Dover, Del. In 1897 ...