(3 syl.). A pompous, ranting character in Preston's lamentable
tragedy of that name.
“Give me a cup of sack, to make mine eyes look red: for I must speak
in passion, and I will do it in King Cambyses' vein.” —Shakespeare: I Henry IV., ii. 4.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Cambyses from Infoplease:
- Cambyses: meaning and definitions - Cambyses: Definition and Pronunciation
- Cambyses - Cambyses Cambyses , two kings of the Achaemenid dynasty of Persia. Cambyses I. was king (c.600 ...
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/cambyses - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Cambyses - Cambyses (3 syl.). A pompous, ranting character in Preston's lamentable tragedy of that name. ...
- Smerdis - Smerdis Smerdis , d. c.528 B.C., second son of Cyrus the Great, king of Persia. He is also called ...