Scotland. A corruption of Celyddon, a Celtic word meaning “a
dweller in woods and forests.” The word Celt is itself a contraction of
the same word (Celyd), and means the same thing.
“Sees Caledonia in romantic view.”
O Caledonia, stern and wild,
Meet nurse for a poetic child
Sir W. Scott: Lay of the Last Minstrel.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Caledonia from Infoplease:
- New Caledonia: meaning and definitions - New Caledonia: Definition and Pronunciation
- Caledonia - Caledonia Caledonia , Roman name for that part of the island of Great Britain that lies N of the ...
- Caledonia: meaning and definitions - Caledonia: Definition and Pronunciation
- New Caledonia and Dependencies - Information on New Caledonia and Dependencies — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities.
- New Caledonia - Map of New Caledonia & articles on flags, geography, history, statistics, disasters current events, and international relations.