Arrogant, full of mighty airs and graces; apt to take offence
at presumed slights. A corruption of presumptuous, first into
“sumptious,” then to bumptious.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bumptious from Infoplease:
- bumptious: meaning and definitions - bumptious: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bumptious - Bumptious Arrogant, full of mighty airs and graces; apt to take offence at presumed slights. A ...
- -tious: meaning and definitions - -tious: Definition and Pronunciation
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index bum bumbailiff bumbershoot bumble bumblebee bumblebeefish bumblefoot bumbleheaded ...
- Cockie - Cockie or Cocky. Bumptious, overbearing, conceited, and dogmatical; like a little bantam cock. ...