means the Wise One. From the Indian word budh, to
know. The title was given to Prince Siddhartha, generally called
Saky'a-muni, the founder of Buddhism. His wife's name was Gopa.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Buddha from Infoplease:
- Buddha: meaning and definitions - Buddha: Definition and Pronunciation
- butsu: meaning and definitions - butsu: Definition and Pronunciation
- Buddha - Buddha Buddha [Skt.,=the enlightened One], usual title given to the founder of Buddhism. He is also ...
- Buddha - Biography of Buddha, The founder of Buddhism
- Buddhism - Buddhism Buddhism was founded in the fourth or fifth century B.C. in northern India by a man known ...