or rather Frank Hayston, lord of Bucklaw, a wealthy
nobleman, who marries Lucia di Lammermoor (Lucy Ashton), who had
pledged her troth to Edgar, master of Ravenswood. On the wedding-night
Lucy murders him, goes mad, and dies. (Donizetti's opera of Lucia di
Lammermoor. Sir Walter Scott's Bride of Lammermoor.)
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bucklaw from Infoplease:
- Bucklaw - Bucklaw or rather Frank Hayston, lord of Bucklaw, a wealthy nobleman, who marries Lucia di ...
- Ravenswood - Ravenswood (Allan, Lord of). A decayed Scotch nobleman of the Royalist party. Master Edgar ...
- Lucia Di Lammermoor - Lucia Di Lammermoor Called Lucy Ashton by Sir Walter Scott, was the sister of Lord Henry Ashton of ...
- Hayston - Hayston (Frank). The laird of Bucklaw, afterwards laird of Girnington. (Sir Walter Scott: Bride of ...
- Edgar - Edgar or Edgardo. Master of Ravenswood, in love with Lucy Ashton (Lucia di Lammermoor). While ...