Worthless or very inferior metallic articles made in imitation
of better ones. Birmingham is the great mart and manufactory of gilt
toys, cheap jewellery, imitation gems, mosaic gold, and such-like.
Birmingham was called by the Romans “Bremenium.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brummagem from Infoplease:
- brummagem: meaning and definitions - brummagem: Definition and Pronunciation
- Brummagem - Brummagem Worthless or very inferior metallic articles made in imitation of better ones. Birmingham ...
- Monnaie de Basoche - Monnaie de Basoche Worthless coin; coin not current; counters. “Brummagem halfpennies.” ...
- Rococo - Rococo C'est du rococo. It is mere twaddle; Brummagem finery; make-believe. (Italian roco, ...
- Copper Captain - Copper Captain (A). A Brummagem captain; a “General von Poffenburgh.” Michael Perez is ...