(1 syl.). Trousers. From the Irish brog, resembling
those still worn by some of the French cavalry, in which trousers and
boots are all one garment.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brogues from Infoplease:
- brogue: meaning and definitions - brogue: Definition and Pronunciation
- Brogue - Brogue (1 syl.) properly means the Irish brog, or shoe of rough hide. The application of brog to ...
- Brogues - Brogues (1 syl.). Trousers. From the Irish brog, resembling those still worn by some of the French ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Brian Brian Boru Briand briar Briard briarroot briarwood bribe bribery bric-a-brac ...
- Union Pacific - Starring Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea, Akim Tamiroff, Robert Preston, Lynne Overman