(1 syl.) properly means the Irish brog, or shoe of rough
hide. The application of brog to the dialect or manner of
speaking is similar to that of buskin to tragedy and sock to comedy.
“And put my clouted brogues from off my feet.”
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brogue from Infoplease:
- brogue: meaning and definitions - brogue: Definition and Pronunciation
- Brogue - Brogue (1 syl.) properly means the Irish brog, or shoe of rough hide. The application of brog to ...
- Brogues - Brogues (1 syl.). Trousers. From the Irish brog, resembling those still worn by some of the French ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index Brian Brian Boru Briand briar Briard briarroot briarwood bribe bribery bric-a-brac ...
- Union Pacific - Starring Barbara Stanwyck, Joel McCrea, Akim Tamiroff, Robert Preston, Lynne Overman