If not Bran, it is Bran's brother. If not the real “Simon
Pure,” it is just as good. A complimentary expression. Bran was
Fingal's dog, a mighty favourite.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bran from Infoplease:
- bran - bran bran, outer coat of a cereal grain—e.g., wheat, rye, and corn—mechanically removed ...
- bran: meaning and definitions - bran: Definition and Pronunciation
- Suggestions for spelling of encyclopedia/bran - The Infoplease spelling checker combines spelling help with our dictionary and thesaurus
- Bran - Bran If not Bran, it is Bran's brother. If not the real “Simon Pure,” it is just as ...
- Bran-new - Bran-new or Brand-new. (Anglo-Saxon, brand, a torch.) Fire new. Shakespeare, in Love's Labour ...