(Indian ). The self-existing and invisible Creator of
the universe; represented with four heads looking to the four corners
of the world. The divine triad is Brahma, Vishnu, and Siva.
One of the three beings created by God to assist in the creation of
the world. The Brahmins claim him as the founder of their religious
Whate'er in India holds the sacred name
Of piety or lore, the Brahmins claim;
In wildest rituals, vain and painful, lost,
Brahma, their founder, as a god they boast.
Camoens: Lusiad, book vii.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Brahma from Infoplease:
- Brahmo Samaj: meaning and definitions - Brahmo Samaj: Definition and Pronunciation
- Brahma - Brahma Brahma , a god often identified, with Vishnu and Shiva, as one of the three supreme gods in ...
- Brahma: meaning and definitions - Brahma: Definition and Pronunciation
- Ralph Waldo Emerson: Brahma - If the red slayer think he slays, Or if the slain think he is slain, They know not well the subtle ways I keep, and pass, and turn again. Far or forgo
- Brahma - Brahma (Indian ). The self-existing and invisible Creator of the universe; represented with four ...