They who play bowls must expect to meet with rubbers. Those who
touch pitch must expect to defile their fingers. Those who enter upon
affairs of chance, adventure, or dangerous hazard must make up their
minds to encounter crosses, losses, or difficulties. Those who play
with edged instruments must expect to get cut. Soldiers in battle must
look out for wounds, gamblers for losses, libertines for diseases.
“Bowls” to rhyme with rolls.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bowls from Infoplease:
- Bowles: meaning and definitions - Bowles: Definition and Pronunciation
- Samuel Bowles - Bowles, Samuel Bowles, Samuel, 1797–1851, American newspaper editor, b. Hartford, Conn. He ...
- Erskine Bowles - Erskine Bowles U.S. public official Born: 1945 After studying at the University of North Carolina ...
- lawn bowling: meaning and definitions - lawn bowling: Definition and Pronunciation
- Paul Bowles - Bowles, Paul Bowles, Paul, 1910–99, American writer and composer, b. New York City. He ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring