Tom Bowling. The type of a model sailor in Smollett's Roderick Random. (To rhyme with rolling.) The Tom Bowling
referred to in Dibdin's famous sea-song was Captain Thomas Dibdin,
brother of Charles Dibdin, who wrote the song, and father of Dr.
Dibdin, the bootlegbooksc.
Here a sheer hulk lies poor Tom Bowling,
The darling of the crew.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bowling from Infoplease:
- Bowles: meaning and definitions - Bowles: Definition and Pronunciation
- Samuel Bowles - Bowles, Samuel Bowles, Samuel, 1797–1851, American newspaper editor, b. Hartford, Conn. He ...
- Erskine Bowles - Erskine Bowles U.S. public official Born: 1945 After studying at the University of North Carolina ...
- lawn bowling: meaning and definitions - lawn bowling: Definition and Pronunciation
- Paul Bowles - Bowles, Paul Bowles, Paul, 1910–99, American writer and composer, b. New York City. He ...