means a treatise on fodder (Greek, botane, fodder, from
boskcin, to feed). The science of plants would be “phytology,” from
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Botany from Infoplease:
- botany: meaning and definitions - botany: Definition and Pronunciation
- botany - botany botany, science devoted to the study of plants. Botany, microbiology, and zoology together ...
- brake, in botany - brake brake, in botany: see bracken.
- mayflower, in botany - mayflower mayflower, in botany, name for several spring-blooming plants. In England the hawthorn is ...
- cane, in botany - cane cane, in botany, name for the hollow or woody, usually slender and jointed stems of plants ...