Roger Bontemps (French). The personification of “Never say
die.” The phrase is from Béranger.
Vous pauvres, pleins d'envie;
Vous riches, desireux;
Vous, dont le char dévie
Après un cours heureux;
Vous, qui perdrez peut-être
Des titres éclatans,
Eh! gai! prenez pour mâitre
Le gros Roger Bontemps.
Ye poor, with envy goaded;
Ye rich, for more who long;
Ye who by fortune loaded,
Find all things going wrong
Ye who by some disaster
See all your cables break,
From henceforth for your master
Bluff Roger Bontemps take.
E. C. B.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bontemps from Infoplease:
- Arna Bontemps - Bontemps, Arna Bontemps, Arna, 1902–73, African-American writer, b. Alexandria, La. He is ...
- Bontemps - Bontemps Roger Bontemps (French). The personification of “Never say die.” The phrase is ...
- Yachting - Yachting Winners of the 2008 Summer Olympics These are the medal winners of the men's and ...
- The Birth of the Harlem Renaissance: History & Timeline - Great Days in Harlem The birth of the Harlem Renaissance by Beth Rowen & Borgna Brunner Zora ...
- Frederick Douglass - Douglass, Frederick Douglass, Frederick , c.1817–1895, American abolitionist, b. near Easton, ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring