(La). A Bohemian, that is, one living on his wits, such as a
penny-a-liner, journalist, politician, artist, dancer, or in fact any
chevalier of unsettled habits and no settled home. From the French,
Bohémien, a gipsy.
Une maison de Bohême
means a house where no regularity is observed, but all things are
at sixes and sevens.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Boheme from Infoplease:
- La Bohème: meaning and definitions - La Bohème: Definition and Pronunciation
- La Bohème - La Bohème Music: Giacomo Puccini Libretto: Giuseppe Giacosa and Luigi Illica, based on ...
- The Metropolitan Opera: La Boheme - Synopsis, rating, and other information
- Boheme - Boheme (La). A Bohemian, that is, one living on his wits, such as a penny-a-liner, journalist, ...
- MET Summer Encore: La Boheme - Starring Angela Gheorghiu, Ramón Vargas, Nicola Luisotti