A military braggart of the first water. Captain Bobadil is a
character in Ben Jonson's comedy of Every Man in his Humour.
This name was probably suggested by Bobadilla, first governor of Cuba,
who sent Columbus home in chains. (See Vincent.)
“Bobadil is the author's best invention, and is worthy to march in
the same regiment with Bessus and Pistol, Parolles, and the Copper
Captain” (q.v.). - B. W. Procter.
See all these names in their proper places.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bobadil from Infoplease:
- Bobadil - Bobadil A military braggart of the first water. Captain Bobadil is a character in Ben Jonson's ...
- Dalgetty - Dalgetty (Dugald). Jeffrey calls him “a compound of Captain Fluellen and Bobadil,” but ...
- Paul's Man - Paul's Man (A). A braggart; a captain out of service, with a long rapier; so called because St. ...
- Bessus - Bessus A cowardly, bragging captain, a sort of Bobadil (q.v.). (Beaumont and Fletcher: A King and ...
- Drawcansir - Drawcansir A burlesque tyrant in The Rehearsal, by G. Villiers, Duke of Buckingham (1672). He kills ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring