[The Christmas dish.] Freyr, the Scandinavian god of peace and
plenty, used to ride on the boar Gullinbursti; his festival was held at
Yuletide (winter solstice), when a boar was sacrificed to his
The Boar's Head.
This tavern, made immortal by Shakespeare, used to stand in
Eastcheap, on the site of the present statue of William IV. It was the
cognisance of the Gordons, the progenitor of which clan slew, in the
forest of Huntley, a wild boar, the terror of all the Merse (1093).
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Boar's Head from Infoplease:
- Boar's Head - Boar's Head [The Christmas dish.] Freyr, the Scandinavian god of peace and plenty, used to ride ...
- erect: meaning and definitions - erect: Definition and Pronunciation
- carol - carol carol, popular hymn, of joyful nature, in celebration of an occasion such as May Day, Easter, ...
- Christmas - Christmas Christmas [Christ's Mass], in the Christian calendar, feast of the nativity of Jesus, ...
- Christmas Carols - Songs for religious and secular Christmas carolers alike.|Songs for religious and secular Christmas carolers alike
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring