“And hath made of one blood all nations of men.”- Acts xvii. 26.
Blood thicker than water.
Relationship has a claim which is generally acknowledged. It is
better to seek kindness from a kinsman than from a stranger. Water soon
evaporates and leaves no mark behind; not so blood. So the interest we
take in a stranger is thinner and more evanescent than that which we
take in a blood relation.
“Weel! blude's thicker than water. She's welcome to the cheeses and
the hams just the same.” —Sir W. Scott: Guy Mannering.
A Prince of the Blood. One of the Royal Family. Bad blood.
Anger, quarrels; as, It stirs up bad blood. It provokes to
ill-feeling and contention. Blue blood. (See under
Fresh members; as, “To bring young blood into the concern.” In
cold blood. Deliberately; not in the excitement of passion or of
battle. It makes one's blood boil. It provokes indignation and
It runs in the blood.
It is inherited or exists in the family race.
“It runs in the blood of our family.” —Sheridan: The Rivals,
My own flesh and blood. My own children, brothers, sisters, or other
near kindred. Laws written in blood. Demades said that the laws
of Draco were written in blood, because every offence was punished by
The field of blood.
Aceldama (Acts i. 19), the piece of ground purchased with the
blood-money of our Saviour, and set apart for the burial of strangers.
The field of the battle of Cannæ, where Hannibal defeated the
Romans, B.C. 216.
Blood of our Saviour.
An order of knighthood in Mantua; so called because their special
office was to guard “the drops of the Saviour's blood” preserved in St.
Andrew's church, Mantua.
Blood and iron policy
i.e. war policy. No explanation needed.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Blood from Infoplease:
- blood groups - blood groups blood groups, differentiation of blood by type, classified according to immunological ...
- blood count - blood count blood count, method for determining the number of red (erythrocytes) and white ...
- blood test - blood test blood test, examination of blood routinely or as an aid in diagnosing a suspected ...
- blood pressure - blood pressure blood pressure, force exerted by the blood upon the walls of the arteries. The ...
- blood transfusion - blood transfusion blood transfusion, transfer of blood from one person to another, or from one ...
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring