So called from the abounding black rock in the extensive
coal-fields between the Bosphorus and Heracle'a.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Black Sea from Infoplease:
- Black Sea: meaning and definitions - Black Sea: Definition and Pronunciation
- black sea bass: meaning and definitions - black sea bass: Definition and Pronunciation
- Romania - Information on Romania — geography, history, politics, government, economy, population statistics, culture, religion, languages, largest cities, as well as a map and the national flag.
- Black Sea - Black Sea Black Sea, inland sea, c.159,600 sq mi (413,360 sq km), between SE Europe and Asia, ...
- Black Sea: Bibliography - Bibliography See N. Ascherson, Black Sea (1995).