(A ). A person in authority, a “nob.” Of course, the
term arises from the custom of judges, bishops, and so on, wearing
large wigs. Bishops no longer wear them.
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Big-wig from Infoplease:
- Big-wig - Big-wig (A ). A person in authority, a “nob.” Of course, the term arises from the ...
- bigwig: meaning and definitions - bigwig: Definition and Pronunciation
- Sura - Starring Vijay, Tamannaah Bhatia, Sriman, Vadivelu, Dev Gill
- Adelantado - Adelantado A big-wig, the great boss of the place. It is a Spanish word for “his ...
- A litigated contention betw... - The Surprising Adventures Of Baron Munchausenby Rudolph Erich Raspe The Baron arrives in Englan... ...