Forecasting future events by the Bible. The plan was to open
the sacred volume at random, and lay your finger on a passage without
looking at it. The text thus pointed out was supposed to be applicable
to the person who pointed it out. (Greek, biblia, Bible;
manteia, prophecy.) (See Sortes.)
Another process was to weigh a person suspected of magic against a
Bible. If the Bible bore down the other scale, the accused was
Source: Dictionary of Phrase and Fable, E. Cobham Brewer, 1894
More on Bibliomancy from Infoplease:
- bibliomancy: meaning and definitions - bibliomancy: Definition and Pronunciation
- Bibliomancy - Bibliomancy Forecasting future events by the Bible. The plan was to open the sacred volume at ...
- Hafiz - Hafiz Hafiz [Arab.,=one who has memorized the Qur'an], 1319–1389?, Persian lyric poet, b. ...
- Dictionary Index - Dictionary Index bes besague Besançon besant bescreen bescribble beseech beseem Beseleel ...
- Dictionary of Phrase and Fable: B - Definitions, origins, and illustrative excerpts for words, phases, and literary allusions starting with "B"
24 X 7
||24 x 7 Tutor Availability
||Unlimited Online Tutoring